Creating Life at the Villa Coro di Rane

This blog is about being in the moment - creating life one instant at a time, whether in the flesh or on paper.




Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE FROG...

I decided that to live alone at The Frog I would first need a well, so as to do away with hoses, rain barrels, and rain dances. I scheduled the well drilling (as you have seen below) and bought a washer and dryer to celebrate. The rest of my projects, including updating the electricity, formed a long list in rank order.

Then I got a letter from the insurance company, saying that to keep my policy I would have to repair and finish the outbuildings and replace the boarded windows in the house. The windows were at the top of my list anyway, so that was no biggie. But I had not planned to do anything immediately with the outbuildings.

I decided that the best place for the washing machine would be the cistern porch. The main disadvantage was that there was no existing hook-up or plumbing. My sainted friend, Charlie Rhett, from my yoga class, agreed to help me with all these repairs. He gives me a good rate and he actually enjoys working on this old house, where nothing is as you might imagine it would be. He got started on the plumbing and also recommended an electrician, since there was no room in the breaker box to connect the washer and dryer. The plumbing meant emptying the bottom cabinets and moving the stove out of the way - in other words, total mess!

Kitchen Mayhem

Where's the Stove?!

Charlie Fitting a Pipe

Chan Cutting a Pipe

I decided to put this job on the back burner so we could get to the insurance items right away. I did go ahead with the electric, though. I now have a breaker box that can accommodate anything. Later on I'll go back and have all the outlets checked.

The Spaghetti Box

Deciphering the Spaghetti Box

Disconnecting the Old Wires

In the end, I put in a whole new box, had it inspected, and now that part is up to code. So much for my rank ordered list!

New 200 Amp Box

The end of this story was that on Friday I called the power company to see when they wold turn the electricity back on and, while holding for them, I was multitasking by painting the barn. In a blank moment, I switched hands and in doing so, dropped my phone into the paint tray! Glad I wasn't using my new iPad. I drove straight away to AT&T and got another phone, which I now leave inside the house when I am painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment